The moral and normative philosophy team is headed by Monique Canto-Sperber, whose work is devoted to metaethics, normative ethics and applied ethics. The team organizes regular seminars and study days, and has become a centre in which scholars come together around the entire spectrum of issues in contemporary theoretical and applied moral philosophy.
– Moral Conceptualization
The team’s research has three main focii: the concepts and arguments of moral philosophy; the history and theory of the good; and scientific normativity, moral normativity and applications. While these studies stem from the reflection that British moral philosophy introduced in the 1960s, they aim to modify its premises and enrich it with recent contributions, particularly from the philosophy of mind, the theory of values, and the revival of metaethics.
– Freedom of expression and public space
Research in this area deals with the normative foundations of freedoms relating to expression and communication in the public space. The aim is to reassess the theoretical underpinnings of freedom of expression, taking into account the processes of opinion formation. These studies fall within the scope of analytical moral philosophy and is informed by collaboration with other disciplines and by empirical research. The objects it analyses, its methods and its multidisciplinary dimension set it apart from most of the work carried out to date on this topic.
The Moral and Normative Philosophy team has benefited from several research grants (Transfers, Translitterae and PSL). Its statutory members are Monique Canto-Sperber (CNRS Senior Researcher) and Stéphane Lemaire (Associate Member, University of Rennes). CNRS Senior Researcher Ruwen Ogien was a member from 2015 until his death in May 2017.
Former team members
Scientific production of the team
- Dictionnaire d’éthique et de philosophie morale
- La fin des libertés. Ou comment refonder le libéralisme.
- Sans foi ni loi. Amour, amitié, séduction
- L’oligarchie de l’excellence : les meilleures études pour le plus grand nombre
- Mes Mille et Une Nuits
- Mon dîner chez les cannibales – et autres chroniques sur le monde d’aujourd’hui
- Assemblées générales de l’USR 3608 (2021-2022) le 15 October 2021 12:00
- Séminaire « Lecture Croisées » (2021-2022) le 19 November 2021 12:00
- Assemblées générales de l’USR 3608 (2021-2022) le 21 January 2022 12:00
- Séminaire « Lecture Croisées » (2021-2022) le 18 March 2022 12:00
- Assemblées générales de l’USR 3608 (2021-2022) le 20 May 2022 12:00
- Séminaire « Lecture Croisées » (2021-2022) le 17 June 2022 12:00